Interviewer, reviewer, reporter, writer and active social media user ready to develop thematic ideas, set editorial agendas, and curate them to eager and growing audiences in the ever-changing media environment, either in a full-time or freelance capacity.
# – Full-Time
* – Part-Time, Freelance, Internship or Volunteer
(#) Aplus.com (Senior Editor) – 2015-Present
(*) SoulBounce.com (Contributing Editor) – 2013-Present
(*) Swirl, Inc. (Social Media Curator) – 2011-Present
(#) Black Enterprise (Technology Editor) – 2015
(#) New York Daily News (Digital Copy Editor) – 2013-2015
(*) Wing World (Copy Editor) – 2014-2015
(*) JackmasterRadio.com (Music Director/Managing Editor) – 2014
(*) DJZ.com (Weekend Editor) – 2012-2013
(*) AppStorm.net (Contributing Writer) – 2012-2013
(#) Black Enterprise (Copy Editor) – 2011-2013
(*) SoulTrain.com (Contributing Writer) – 2010-2013
(#) Sushi Samba Restaurants (Marketing Associate) – 2010-2011
(#) Snackable Media (Content Editor, prev. Jr. Content Editor) – 2009-2010
(#) 944 (Copy Editor/Writer, prev. Editorial Intern, Editorial Assistant, Online Editorial Trafficker/Online Editor) – 2006-2009
(*) SierraH Broadcasting (Promotions Assistant) – 2006-2007
(*) Cumulus Broadcasting (Promotions Intern) – 2005
(*) NY1 News (Entertainment Intern) – 2005
(*) Columbia Missourian/VOX/KBIA-FM (Reporter/Copy Editor) – 2003-2004
(*) X2K Magazine (Co-Founder/Editor) – 2002
(*) ASU Student Media (News Reader/Columnist/Writer/Reporter) – 2000-2002
(*) SierraH Broadcasting (Promotions Assistant) – 2001
University of Missouri – Columbia
Master of Arts, Journalism (Focus: Reporting & Writing)
Arizona State University
Bachelor of Arts, Broadcast Journalism
WRITING / REPORTING / EDITING
- Research, solicit, interview sources for and write feature-length articles, short-form articles and blog posts on topics including music, lifestyle, arts, entertainment, pop culture, celebrities, food, dining, nightlife, travel, fashion, technology, education, government, diversity and activism.
- Build relationships with sources, publicity and media relations contacts to obtain interviews, assets and story ideas.
- Recruit, manage deadlines for and assign projects to in-house and remote staff, interns and freelance contributors.
- Maintain calendar of events, manage submissions and coordinate with third-party producers to develop content schedule.
- Copyedit and fact-check stories for in-house and Associated Press styles, and make revisions using InDesign, online content management systems, etc.
DIGITAL / BLOGGING / SOCIAL MEDIA / MOBILE / ANALYTICS
- Utilize in-house publishing and commercial CMS tools, as well as social mediums, to upload and distribute text and multimedia to websites, social media and messaging.
- Plan campaigns, schedule posts, monitor timelines and engage followers through real-time interactions on social media, blogs and text messages.
- Coordinate with third parties, interact with reputable and relevant entities, and build relationships with other content producers to expand reach, influence and audience.
- Compile and distribute past and real-time analytics to detail traffic patterns, audience engagement, campaign performances and story placement, as well as develop methods to improve response rates.
BROADCAST PRODUCTION / PROGRAMMING
- Serve as on-air talent during live and pre-recorded television and radio interviews, news reports, call-ins and announcements.
- Produce ready-to-air story packages with video, sound bytes and graphics.
- Write scripts for packages, sound on tapes, voice-overs and live event coverage.
- Film video and edit using nonlinear (Avid, Final Cut) and linear (tape-to-tape) systems.
- Develop playlists and maintain programming logs.
COPYWRITING / MARKETING / PUBLIC RELATIONS / EVENTS
- Write and edit copy for press releases, crisis communications, handbooks, conference schedules, sales sheets, pamphlets, fliers, product descriptions, presentations, corporate leadership biographies, forms, newsletters, direct marketing, social media and other distributed collateral, and identify outlets for potential coverage and partnerships, as well as track performance.
- Coordinate event logistics such as curriculum, agendas and recruiting speakers for workshops and conferences; present proposal requests for funding, use of facilities, and to secure gifts and materials; and research costs with venues and service providers.
- Maintain records for events, including agreements, invoices and participants’ contact information, and maintain contact with event participants.
- Emcee, manage contests and engage crowds with DJ sets, call-ins, activities and other entertainment.